Skip to main content

Soul: Jazz and Life's Beauty

 

Soul is the latest addition to Pixar's animated film line up and I must say, it's truly an interesting watch that needs digestion. 


 Soul like any other Pixar animated film builds upon already existing conceptual ideas and adds a relatable human feel to it. I do not want to be that guy but I feel like this is the second really conceptual focused film I've seen this year with Tenet being the first and while both have very great ideas, I think this film definitely fully realized it's ideas rather than overdoing and falling flat. Now, back to this film. 

 Soul tells the story of a sad middle aged pianist named Joe Gardner (played excellently by the talented Jamie Foxx) who aspires to play in jazz clubs and make music for the rest of his life as it is his "purpose" in life. Joe struggles with trying to make a big break as a musician as well as trying to inspire teaching students of a school as a part time music teacher. That sounds rather simple but something happens at a crucial moment in his life where he has a near death experience and appears in transit between life and death. 

This doesn't sound like a new concept yes, but Pixar definitely brought a spin into it as Joe finds away to escape from being sent to the other side by instead going to section where unborn babies souls are prepared for their birth on Earth. There, Joe stumbles unto godlike beings who go by "Jerry"(and one Terry) and they link him up with a pessimistic child soul called "22" who doesn't want to go to earth, they find out they share a mutualistic goal which sets them on a life changing journey of self discovery. 



 I love how this film tried extremely hard in depicting the little things that make us the humans we are. Every character with a speaking role feels like a regular relatable human being and it also handles black characters extremely well because there are a couple of great moments with one being in a barber shop. The jokes land, the writing is done really well and feels natural, the story is touching and doesn't feel  convoluted or boring in any way. The cast is great and I found myself caring for all these characters to some degree with my favorites being the two main ones, Joe and 22. 



I think Soul displays an exciting future for Pixar films and I'm really excited to see what they do next because this entry to their filmography was quite refreshing and enjoyable. Also, I know there's a lot of complaining of POC Disney characters not fully appearing as themselves in films and while I think that happens here, I think it works for the story and there's a significant amount of screen time for Regular Joe here to enjoy and appreciate. 


I'm not really into giving films scores but I'll try that today and give this film an 8/10, I think it has great replay value and could be another Pixar classic along greats like Toy Story, Wall E and Up!

If you like this post, please do leave a comment down below, like, share and subscribe! Thank you 


Comments

  1. Watched this movie last night , it was beautiful, one of the best animations I’ve watched ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOUL!!! BEST ANIMATED MOVIE OF 2020!...Its just perfect bro...the theme of humanity represented at its best

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Popular Posts

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member ...

Samurai Jack's Finale Review!

If you grew up watching jack try to defeat aku and you got sad cause you never got a conclusion well the new season given to you by adult swim got you covered...it has 10 episodes and most weren't the best but they all had top notch voice acting and animation. The finale episode picks up were episode 9 left off with Aku capturing our awesome samurai and Ashi still in control of Aku.It's not Aku unless he gloats so in typical fashion Aku streamed a live video of samurai Jack chained and about to be killed...it was funny because he used the montage of the original show, which was a nice nod.All those who jack has helped since season 1 watched as he was tortured and they all joined together to attack Aku's headquarters... They all fired at Aku but with him being all powerful he wasn't affected....While all this was happening my guy Jack was trying to bring his babe back to the light side so he can slide into her DM😂😂😂...am just kidding he just wanted her to su...

Mank review with a little bit of spoilers

“ I know you” was Marion’s first words to Herman Mankiewicz, this was the same way I felt because I had seen Citizen Kane (1940) prior to viewing this, so most of the things in the movie looked and sounded familiar  I strongly recommend seeing Citizen Kane before seeing this. Mank is a story of stories, but primarily it is about Herman’s journey in writing the first script draft of Citizen Kane after Orson Welles slashed the number of days he had to spend writing and everything that inspired the story. It is also a story about the complexity of Hollywood studios, the impact of the great depression on the infant film industry, filmmakers meddling with politics, the emergence of the Writer’s guild of America (WGA). While all these different stories progressed, the primary plot was still at full sail.  The non-linearity of the movie was marvelously done, it leaves the audience panting to find out the WHY for some of the actions of the characters, most are rooted in a...

UMBRELLA ACADEMY: WEIRD IS GREAT!

   I feel like this is the first time i have made a post about a show that just got released this early. Truth be told, i missed a class trying to binge all ten episodes of the new netflix show;  Doom Patrol  (that was a joke), sorry Umbrella Academy.   Honestly speaking, i find it truly intriguing how rare and fascinating how two really good and similar shows like Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy got released during the same period of time. With the Netflix marvel shows being cancelled, i think its safe to say we'll still have our dosage of realistic superheroes on the small screen.   Based on the Dark Horse comic of the same name, Umbrella Academy tells the story of a group of kids who wan born on the same day in 1989 to mothers who weren't pregnant before that day. A rich man named Sir Reginald Hargreeves who managed to adopt seven kids out of the forty-three that were born on that day. With six of them(allegedly) having extraordinary pow...