Skip to main content

Ōkami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children)





Anime is one of the best mediums of story telling in recent years. It's diverse and offers a wide variety of genres, from comedy, action, thriller and romance. Most popular series are usually fast paced, exaggerated and action packed but, pretty much all the amazing anime films are usually grounded, slow and visually phenomenal and these are qualities this film taps into. 

                     


Ōkami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children) is honestly what great movies are all about. I remember seeing the trailer a few months back and I was so interested in seeing how it would play out, while I knew I was going to be in for an emotional roller coaster, I didn't quite expect it to start within the first thirty minutes of the film's screen time.




                  


The film's premise from the trailer was pretty simple, a young optimistic female college student called Hana falls for a recluse, mysterious yet kind man after seeing him at one of her classes. She tails him and tries her best to befriend him, after they meet a couple of times and build a connection, he finally gains the confidence to tell her his secret; He's a wolf. The film's momentum is propelled by that piece of information and I was drawn into the world and invested in Hana and her struggles to somehow make the after effects of being with a wolf work.











This film has very very beautiful animation, they're so many gorgeous scenes that made me feel inspired, happy and sometimes very sad. It definitely made use of visual story telling as they are so many scenes where nothing is said but you just understand the context of it and connect to the scenes. The art style is quirky yet still has this bold presence. The character designs are simple yet aesthetically pleasing and all the major characters with speaking roles are very well written. It also has a beautiful musical score that elevates every scene with emotions and great voice acting.









I do not want to spoil anything but the name itself is a spoiler so keep an eye for that because, when you see how it plays out and it's development, you'll have moments where you'll smile at how adorable the idea is done, laugh at the scenarios and quite possibly tear up a bit at the end. A friend of mine brought this up and I think I agree, Hana is probably the best parent in anime history and her struggles and dedication is incredibly inspiring and great to watch.











This film is breath taking, funny, smart, human and just overall a great treat to experience. By the end of it all I was feeling very inspired about life and these days, we need stories like that, stories about moving forward even when the odds are clearly stacked against you. While it's not a new film, it is still one of the best films I watched this year and I had to recommend it to you guys before the year officially runs out today. So, endeavor to try and see it because you'll probably have a really good time although, I feel like a lot of people might find it boring.










The year's ending and so I wanted to give a shout out to both the random and dedicated readers of this blog as well as the writers since it is now a collective with other writers asides myself. I'm sure you'll get more posts in 2021! Once again, thank you for reading, this is MY last post of the year, have a wonderful day and Happy New Year In Advance

Comments

Post a Comment

The Popular Posts

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member ...

Mank review with a little bit of spoilers

“ I know you” was Marion’s first words to Herman Mankiewicz, this was the same way I felt because I had seen Citizen Kane (1940) prior to viewing this, so most of the things in the movie looked and sounded familiar  I strongly recommend seeing Citizen Kane before seeing this. Mank is a story of stories, but primarily it is about Herman’s journey in writing the first script draft of Citizen Kane after Orson Welles slashed the number of days he had to spend writing and everything that inspired the story. It is also a story about the complexity of Hollywood studios, the impact of the great depression on the infant film industry, filmmakers meddling with politics, the emergence of the Writer’s guild of America (WGA). While all these different stories progressed, the primary plot was still at full sail.  The non-linearity of the movie was marvelously done, it leaves the audience panting to find out the WHY for some of the actions of the characters, most are rooted in a...

UMBRELLA ACADEMY: WEIRD IS GREAT!

   I feel like this is the first time i have made a post about a show that just got released this early. Truth be told, i missed a class trying to binge all ten episodes of the new netflix show;  Doom Patrol  (that was a joke), sorry Umbrella Academy.   Honestly speaking, i find it truly intriguing how rare and fascinating how two really good and similar shows like Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy got released during the same period of time. With the Netflix marvel shows being cancelled, i think its safe to say we'll still have our dosage of realistic superheroes on the small screen.   Based on the Dark Horse comic of the same name, Umbrella Academy tells the story of a group of kids who wan born on the same day in 1989 to mothers who weren't pregnant before that day. A rich man named Sir Reginald Hargreeves who managed to adopt seven kids out of the forty-three that were born on that day. With six of them(allegedly) having extraordinary pow...

BLACK PANTHER: SPOILER REVIEW

  If you haven ’ t seen black panther,I don ’t think you’d understand this post because I’ll be talking about things that happened rather than explaining them like most spoiler reviews. With that being said,let us march on. We saw the bright side of wakanda as well as it ’s hidden dark history and so now,its time to talk about. I’ll start of by talking about who everyone is talking about and that is no one else but Erik Killmonger.   Erik Killmonger and Ulysyss Klaw are now my favorite villains. In fact, unlike many I actually preferred Klaw as a villain but maybe that was because Killmonger was more of an antagonist(yes,they can be different)to me. Klaw just wanted vibranium so he could fuck shit up but Erik’s grievance was more personal and it challenged T’challa’s ideals because who Erik had become was a result of his father’s(King T’chaka) mistake I’ll go into that in a bit.  Black Panther shows us just how impressive Wakanda is because it’s ...