Skip to main content

KOE NO KATACHI: A REVIEW?

 


Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) is a 2016 Japanese [obviously] animated film written by Reiko Yoshida and directed by Naoko Yamada. The film is based on the manga of the same name, written by the great Yoshitoki ÅŒima. I just want to talk type about this beautiful anime; don't think of this as some sort of review.
P.S.: Little spoilers here and there.

It starts off with Ishida - who'd later be the main male character - trying to commit suicide. And may I say... the musical build-up to the point where he is to jump off the bridge... SUBARASHI! It's utterly gorgeous [for the lack of a befitting word]. It's not over done with sad sounds or large synths. It's almost inaudible, gentle; it's the kind of music that would play in the head of a sad or depressed person.

And it is explained in detail - his dilemma. 

The movie's title makes sense because of Nishimiya. She's deaf. In middle school, she's a victim of bullying from her classmates in form of ignorance, isolation, silence, and more.
The worst thing to bully a deaf person with is silence.


The movie, basically, is about the lives of Ishida and Nishimiya. One was once a bully and now suffers depression, the other is deaf and suffers depression. The plot opens the audience - you and I - to the communication problems in today's world and the stigma that's associated with disabled people. It's very "real"... in the sense that many animes that explore this field/genre tend to over-do or under-do but this one sits just right. The emotions are balanced and the unnecessary is avoided.

The movie tackles a lot of things: social anxiety, depression, suicide, bullying, anger, pity, 2020, etc. It's a lot that simmer well and a few things that do not. My first problem is the character development. It's nothing too serious but a lot more could've should've been done. The red haired guy just popped out of nowhere and he's an equally important character as the rest of Ishida's friends? Boo!

Red haired guy😂

I'd like to think that bully cases are not handled by Japanese schools as portrayed in this movie. From the look of things, the teacher was aware that Nishimiya was being bullied but he did nothing? He said nothing till her parent complained and changed Nishimiya's school? Boo!

I think the music is amazing. It's not the regular J-Pop but exciting sounds that I believe any lover of proper music would appreciate. The animation is very sharp and beautiful, as one would expect from Kyoto Studios. The movie keeps one interested and it has tons of moments that are screenshot worthy.

You should see it if you haven't.

It's a strong 8 from me. 

Comments

  1. Now I have to add this movie to my list. About the teacher being aware of the bullying, I think Teachers asking a Bully to desist from bullying students only ends up with the students facing more bullying from the bullying, teacher interfering kinds of points a spotlight on the student

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd replied. 💀
      A teacher is in a position of authority and as such something should be done. The school could have suspended Ishida and I see that as a bare minimum. I hope you enjoy the movie.

      Delete

Post a Comment

The Popular Posts

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member ...

Mank review with a little bit of spoilers

“ I know you” was Marion’s first words to Herman Mankiewicz, this was the same way I felt because I had seen Citizen Kane (1940) prior to viewing this, so most of the things in the movie looked and sounded familiar  I strongly recommend seeing Citizen Kane before seeing this. Mank is a story of stories, but primarily it is about Herman’s journey in writing the first script draft of Citizen Kane after Orson Welles slashed the number of days he had to spend writing and everything that inspired the story. It is also a story about the complexity of Hollywood studios, the impact of the great depression on the infant film industry, filmmakers meddling with politics, the emergence of the Writer’s guild of America (WGA). While all these different stories progressed, the primary plot was still at full sail.  The non-linearity of the movie was marvelously done, it leaves the audience panting to find out the WHY for some of the actions of the characters, most are rooted in a...

UMBRELLA ACADEMY: WEIRD IS GREAT!

   I feel like this is the first time i have made a post about a show that just got released this early. Truth be told, i missed a class trying to binge all ten episodes of the new netflix show;  Doom Patrol  (that was a joke), sorry Umbrella Academy.   Honestly speaking, i find it truly intriguing how rare and fascinating how two really good and similar shows like Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy got released during the same period of time. With the Netflix marvel shows being cancelled, i think its safe to say we'll still have our dosage of realistic superheroes on the small screen.   Based on the Dark Horse comic of the same name, Umbrella Academy tells the story of a group of kids who wan born on the same day in 1989 to mothers who weren't pregnant before that day. A rich man named Sir Reginald Hargreeves who managed to adopt seven kids out of the forty-three that were born on that day. With six of them(allegedly) having extraordinary pow...

Samurai Jack's Finale Review!

If you grew up watching jack try to defeat aku and you got sad cause you never got a conclusion well the new season given to you by adult swim got you covered...it has 10 episodes and most weren't the best but they all had top notch voice acting and animation. The finale episode picks up were episode 9 left off with Aku capturing our awesome samurai and Ashi still in control of Aku.It's not Aku unless he gloats so in typical fashion Aku streamed a live video of samurai Jack chained and about to be killed...it was funny because he used the montage of the original show, which was a nice nod.All those who jack has helped since season 1 watched as he was tortured and they all joined together to attack Aku's headquarters... They all fired at Aku but with him being all powerful he wasn't affected....While all this was happening my guy Jack was trying to bring his babe back to the light side so he can slide into her DM😂😂😂...am just kidding he just wanted her to su...