Skip to main content

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD

   
  The first fantastic beast was truly a surprise to me,I never thought I’d enjoy it as much as I did,especially with it being a Harry Potter(I love Harry Potter) prequel. The titular character Newt Scamander truly held his own as the face of this new franchise which impressed me because of how unique he was from Harry Potter himself. He wasn't some kind of chosen one or extremely special person, he was just a good guy who saw the best in everybeing which I felt made him stand out. 
Set many years before the philosopher’s stone, the first film established a lot of cool stuff like the american wizarding world as well as fun new characters so,when they announced they would be a total of five films, I got scared. I mean,I expected a sequel but four sequels? That really felt like a stretch so before I saw this sequel,I kept thinking “do they really have enough story for five movies?” and now that I've seen this film, I feel like they might not. 

  So Fantastic Beasts:The Crimes Of Grindelwald picks up three months after where the last film ended.  Most of the characters from the last film returned,it kept things familiar and interesting but, it felt like about fourty minutes of this film was just there to stretch things out. I mean for instance, let's talk about the girl Newt obviously had a thing for in the first film;Leta LaStrange who  finally makes her debut in this film. She's shown as a smart, bold witch who never had a sense of belonging.  On paper, this sounds like ingredients for a truly fascinating character but there really isn't anything memorable or fascinating about her which was underwhelming.
 I mean, she's related to freaking Bellatrix Lastrange, One of the most(in my opinion)  iconic villains in cinema and fictional literature. So I felt really sad when I realised I wasn't even a tad bit interested whenever I saw her ancestor Leta.  Don't get me wrong the actress did a fine job, it just felt like the character would have been so much more and by the end of the film I felt like her character was utterly wasted. 
  This film introduced a bunch of new characters and decided to hardly focus on any of them for that long. I mean, this film is sub titled;The Crimes of Grindelwald and he's barely in it at all. Johnny Depp as Grindelwald wasn't in anyway bad but, it felt like he needed more scenes. I know Grindelwald isn't a new character but technically, for most of the first film he was in disguise. 

He gives this speech at the end which was meant to be badass and intimidating but his character journey through out the film felt really lackluster due to him barely being in the film and when he was onscreen,he wasn't interesting, he just felt like the wizard Hitler.  They are some scenes where Johnny Depp shows great facial gestures that give Grindelwald's character complexity but, they're always downplayed with proud and boring speeches about wizard supremacy. 
He had a really cool scene in the beginning of the film which I liked but other than that, I didn't see him as anything more than just your regular one dimensional villain which is sad because I could really see that they tried really hard to make him complex and interesting. 
 Still, this film is highly entertaining, I wasn't bored at all because of the fact that it's set in the wizarding world of Harry Potter.  Lots of Harry Potter references alone will make you feel satisfied, the musical score is still great, the whole vibe of magic  is still familiar and fun to see but, i still feel like half of this film is just there to pass time and not actually move the narrative at all. 
  The best parts of this film are in the first and last thirty minutes, everything in the middle feels like a total waste of time.  They are familiar characters here who get rather interesting backstories and there's a big twist at the end that will keep you wanting to see another movie even with the lackluster and long middle part of this film.  Even when it drags, it still manages to be an entertaining film filled with new beasts, old places and characters, new twists and beautiful music so, in my book it's still a solid film to watch and (to an extent)really enjoy. 

Do not forget to comment, like, share and subscribe to our newsletter.

Comments

The Popular Posts

Wreck It Ralph: Ralph Breaks The Internet

Ralph Breaks The Internet is the sequel to Wreck It Ralph which i didn't know i needed. The film starts of six years after the first film with Vanellope and Ralph living their daily lives at the arcade with the only different thing now is the fact that Vanellope is tired of her own game. She wants to get a new exciting experience and so she ’s basically depressed about how repetitive her life is which is basically the struggle of every teenager and yes, she’s pretty much a teenager even though she’s stuck in the age of a child. When Ralph tries to make Vanellope’s game more exciting by creating a driving course,this ultimately leads to the gamer breaking the steering wheel when she can’t control her car due to Vanellnope driving of the controlled course to go to the one Ralph created. Without Cree 1stthe steering wheel, her game gets abandoned and without a game, she has no purpose so Ralph and Vanellope must travel to the internet to get it from E-bay. With such a

First Listen: Hamond - Pirate Radio

  since i heard  windows , i have been sloppy on Hamond.  Pirate Radio  is almost everything i imagine indie pop to be. it's glittery, experimental, vocal, and hard work. half the time, i don't even understand his poetry but it sounds so  damn good . the other half explores experiences of failed/failing relationships, problematic partners, and misplaced gaiety. storytelling like this always gets me into a frenzy, especially with fitting production.  the unconventional mix and production sets this art piece aside from the rest within its genre. especially the drums. nothing cliché with his lyrics or style of music. just pure, honest music that makes me bust some ass to his misfortune. 😀 mehn, it is definitely one of the better listens from 2022. give it a spin?

JORJA SMITH: LOST & FOUND

          Jorja Smith is an amazing artist i got introduced to in school and ever since i heard her album Lost and Found,i became a massive fan of hers. Now, lets talk about Jorja, why do i like her? why is she special? well, besides her voice sounding like a hybrid mix of Sia and Rihanna(Try to imagine hearing that, sounds great in your head right?),she also has well thought out lyrics and has a stellar sound that is very soothing to listen to.  Jorja doesn't just slack around because she has an amazing voice, that's not just it, her music is extremely deep and it easily connects you to a whole bunch of emotions. In an era where music as an art form is diminishing in quality, Jorja manages to be one of those few artists who understands the origin of their genre and only improve on it instead of making it hard to listen to all in the name of "experimenting". Jorja Smith's music genre is a mix of contemporary RnB,Soul and Pop.  Having only two major proj

Raya and The Last Dragon: An Unexpected Gem

   Alright so, ever since this film got announced and I saw character designs and all, I don’t know why but it felt like it was a dlc (extra downloadable content for a video game) but for a movie. It felt like a dlc for Moana, and I’m not like the biggest fan of Moana but, I love animation and so I try my best to always see animated films and that’s why I’m here today after quite the hiatus to tell you, that Raya and The Last Dragon is pretty damn great!   Okay so one of my favorite things about this film was how they used a good chunk of its opening to set up what goes on later. I know that’s meant to be a norm but most animated films don’t get to do that cause their runtime is usually about an hour and a half (including credits). The film clearly explains the lore and history of the land, shows us Raya’s personality and her motivations for the future and I have to hand it to Kelly Marrie Tran (Rose Tico from the Star Wars Sequels) because she’s absolutely brilliant as Raya and cement