Skip to main content

Why I Love: One Piece

   

 


Last year was quite a hard time for me, it was my final year at the university and for what  felt like the first time in my life, I was truly struggling with school. Not the “oh I’m scared I might not do well” but I was genuinely doing bad. This wasn’t because I wasn’t reading or not putting in the work, it was just because I was given a terrible lecturer as a supervisor. I used to think I had a good relationship with him but during the course of the second semester I began to see a shift in his personality and obvious hate towards me. As someone who struggles with insecurities, I was constantly insulted and ridiculed for no real reasons and even though I knew what he said about me wasn’t true,  I was still hurt. Hurt not just because of how he made me feel bad but hurt because the idea of failing and disappointing my parents and family in general was killing me on the inside and I had no means to express how trapped I felt. You’re probably wondering, “Why is this person telling me about his life sad life”? and “How does it relate to loving one piece”? 

  After several rejections of my final project drafts by my lecturer, I stumbled on to Eiichiro Oda’s One Piece. This wasn’t my first encounter with the series, I had actually started it during my first year at university in 2016 and stopped due to not having it readily available to me at the time. So, a tired and sad me rekindled his relationship with the series by continuing from where I stopped which was the beginning of water 7. 



I remembered saying how i didn’t enjoy water 7 back then and thought it killed the momentum of the series and, boy, was I so so wrong. I began to watch one piece and (later) read one piece daily. I would use it as an escape from my sadness filled reality. Each time I’d work hard on my project and get long and unhelpful rants from my supervisor, i would find solace in watching the straw hats go from island to island. I saw myself laughing again after months of my laughter dwindling. It came to a point where I’d log off from WhatsApp (the social messaging app I used to communicate with the supervisor) immediately I mailed him a new copy of my work because I knew it would only be responded with insults. I would do this and watch one piece and every moment I did, I felt happy, it was a sad kind of happiness because the thought of the evil man would linger on my mind every time  I smiled and felt joy watching Oda’s creation. Thinking about it now, I find it funny that a self proclaimed academic like my supervisor did not allow me; his project student call him. It’s funnier cause most of the other students would call him and get constructive criticism and notes on each of their submissions. 

One Piece creator; Eiichiro Oda is a man who I consider a god in all honesty. His consistency in carrying the series and creating such a well detailed world spanning over two decades is actually so crazy and while he never likes to get complemented or admit his great brilliance in planning and writing, he truly is a genius level being. 

Like many popular anime/manga, One Piece is a shonen and just like every shonen it has its tropes but what makes this show truly stand out is how he (Oda) manages to create an incredibly believable and diverse world full of depth, foreshadowing while still retaining the digestibility of your average shonen. 



   A lot of people who haven’t watched or read the series use its length as a reason not to try it and honestly, I get that. With over 900 anime episodes and 1000 manga chapters, the series continues to grow and shock audiences. There is no writer on the planet right now that is putting out almost consistent weekly content at the level that Oda is. He has managed to create what is a strong contender for the greatest fictional story ever told. His work is up there with the greats like the hobbit/lord of the rings franchise, game of thrones and many other great works.

 Okay, okay, so I’ve been talking about the many great things about Oda and one piece but now, it’s time to finally explain why I love one piece. They’re a lot of reasons why I love the series and while I could go on and on, I think it boils down to the relatability even though it’s set in an unrealistic world and it’s dedication to adventure. Let me explain.

 

 One Piece is set in a fictional and whacky world where different races, islands, powers, organizations and culture exist. This might arguably be the most fleshed out and diverse manga/anime series there is. So much of what it has to offer is nothing we have in our reality but it feels so familiar because of how Oda writes his characters and world to be relatable. While he is not the first weave relatable themes of friendship, love, hate and so much more into fictional worlds, he does it in such an eloquent way. From his art style alone, his human characters do not look like conventional human beings, he goes out of his way to show his viewers that this isn’t the real world but instead of using that to alienate them from the viewers, he makes them so human and thus relatable.

 Every arc, every story, every major character (and a lot of times, minor  characters)feels important no matter how small their role is. They feel like real people, places feel like real places, everything feels real. Oda intentionally creates the most bizarre settings or characters and then adds so much to them making them feel real and it’s this human element that allows the fans to still talk, speculate and love characters who appeared hundreds of chapters ago. 


 As stated earlier, there’s another reason why I love and adore One Piece so much and it’s the dedication to adventure. You’re probably saying this should be normal as it’s about pirates and that is true but, Oda simply takes it to another level. Oda writes in a way that leaves certain things unanswered and this brings a lot of discussions. With each new thing he answers in the series a hundred other questions could be sprung up. This type of writing works so well for the series because you are literally going on an adventure just like Luffy and his crew and while Luffy’s desire is to find the One Piece, we’re on a journey of discovering everything about everything that leads up to it. As a previously anime only watcher, it took me a while to fully follow the manga and when I did I became shocked because Oda includes these cover stories that show other characters and their dealings in the world. These extra stories are cohesive and very much canon within the series and add more to its dedication to adventure. 

  One Piece is my favorite manga of all time, it saved me when I was practically at rock bottom. I have completely fallen in love with the world and characters as well grown to admire Eiichiro Oda and try to emulate him in my own art. One Piece is a story I feel every human being needs to experience once in a lifetime and I honestly mean it when I say it saved my life and I truly hope whoever reads this gives it a chance. 


Comments

Post a Comment

The Popular Posts

BUMBLEBEE: A BREATH OF FRESH AIR

    Bumblebee is the first ever live action prequel/reboot film that has been released from the transformers franchise and it is set during the 1980s. In all honesty,i'm not sure if this film is just a prequel or also a reboot because, by the end of the film you can see that this is definitely a happens before the first film with Shia Labeouf but, it also runs away from tying itself to the already established Transformers franchise by itself too seriously. The reason i think it might be a reboot is simply due to the fact that they redesigned the transformers to have their more simple classic design from the old school cartoons rather than the more "extra" design filled unnecessary level of detail. This film tries very much to be more human and rely more on emotional connection rather than being a grand cgi filled fest that could span the course of multiple two hour films.    The plot is simple;in the face of being terminated, the Autobots must flee from Cybertro

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member of th

Army Of The Dead: A Crazy Roller Coaster!

  Visionary director, Zack Snyder comes through with a new release following his long awaited director’s cut of 2017’s Justice League. This time (and thanks to Netflix), he has full creative control of the entire film.    Army of the dead was shot, written and directed by Zack himself and is his return to horror, the same genre of his first feature film “Dawn of the Dead”. Army of the dead is an extremely ambitious film with the potential for multiple sequels and spinoffs besides the already announced ones. I’ll try my best to make this a spoiler free review although I make talk or hint about certain things that happen in the film.   The film tells the story of a team of skilled men and women coming together to go to closed off zombie infested Las Vegas to retrieve millions of dollars from a vault before the US government nukes the entire place and its zombie residents. Each member of this team standout and feel like real people with personalities. There’s a lot of present world realis

I Truly Loved Wonder Woman 1984: An Honest Review

   Wonder Woman 1984 is the sequel to 2017's Wonder Woman with Gal Gadot, Chris Pine and Patty Jenkins all returning in their respective duties with the first two as actors and Patty as the director once again.   Wonder Woman 1984 has only been out for a few days and within that time has been destroyed critically with people (including a couple of my friends) downright calling it horrible and a strong contender for worst movie of the year. While I'm not one to be swayed by the popular opinion of most critic reviews, seeing a couple of people whose tastes I respect speak ill of the film honestly made me scared and so I avoided watching it until today when I decided that I had to be brave and face my fear!   As seen by the trailers and  other promotional materials, Wonder Woman 1984 is set in the 80's, specifically, 1984, the film has the classic retro feel to it and unapologetically embraces it. Please note that while I will not be spoiling anything major, I may drop some li