Skip to main content

WHOLE LOTTA RED: A REVIEW


After two damn years of waiting [definitely not me], Carti finally drops the album! I wasn't going to make a review BUT when I heard Carti, in Punk Monk, say "... I don't rap, I write poems..." I was like:


Whole Lotta Red is Playboi Carti's second studio album and as I've earlier stated, a highly anticipated project. And Carti takes a weird, twisted and unsurprisingly dark route with this album. I mean did you see the merch?

Anyways, the WLR comprises of 24 songs. Yes. I know. That's a lot. But Carti feels it's fine. You get more songs for the wait? 🤔


Man really brought hieroglyphics to his track naming 😭. I kinda respect Carti for embodying many trolls. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger yeah?

Before I review the songs, we have to talk about the album art. C'mon Carti. Why this? Sigh.

Weak ass album art. This just screams low effort.

The album has three categories according to my ears: absolute trash, confessions and pretty okay.

Let's start with the absolute trash.

Skipping the intro, I expected something good from Go2DaMoon but it easily has one of the worst Kanye verses I've ever had to read and hear. Beno!, JumpOutTheHouse, M3tamorphosis, New Tank, Teen X, Meh, Vamp Anthem, Control, On That Time, King Vamp, and Place are all face palms. 


Some songs have meaning though: the confessions.

Although corny and unpleasant, Control is a love song. If someone made me a song like that, I'd stone the person cold fufu. He was singing off beat ffs. 

Punk Monk, Slay3r, Stop Breathing and On That Time talk about experiences - the pleasant and unpleasant.

Carti also made his sexuality clear in New Tank. It's safe to say that Carti is not gay. Sorry LGBTQIA+. 

Now, No Sl33p creeps me a lil bit. Could it be Carti trying to converse that he's disturbed even in his sleep (as he dreams of murder) or is the devil stroking his weiner? In one of the tracks, he swore on his son [Onyx] that he would bury an opp in cement. Bro 💀😟. Okayyyyy 💀



Now, the pretty okay! New N3on got me nodding for a little bit and I see that as a huge win. If not for that, this album would've gotten a 1/10 from me. 1 for Effort. Now I think a 2.5/10 would do just fine. Sampling Bon Iver for the outdo song is a level of brilliance that I'm impressed with. It doesn't mean the song was good lmao.


For whomever that's made it this far, this album is trash 🚮. I'm kind of glad that Pi'erre didn't get signed to Carti. 

Whole Lotta Red is a mash of unpleasant adlibs, repetitions, women objectification, pointless lyrics, spitting vocals and whack beats. Enjoy tho.

NB: this is my opinion.

Comments

  1. Guy...fuck this trash album.. Taylor dropped 2 masterclass bodies of work this year; Folklore and Evermore!!..that's all that matters rn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Popular Posts

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member ...

Samurai Jack's Finale Review!

If you grew up watching jack try to defeat aku and you got sad cause you never got a conclusion well the new season given to you by adult swim got you covered...it has 10 episodes and most weren't the best but they all had top notch voice acting and animation. The finale episode picks up were episode 9 left off with Aku capturing our awesome samurai and Ashi still in control of Aku.It's not Aku unless he gloats so in typical fashion Aku streamed a live video of samurai Jack chained and about to be killed...it was funny because he used the montage of the original show, which was a nice nod.All those who jack has helped since season 1 watched as he was tortured and they all joined together to attack Aku's headquarters... They all fired at Aku but with him being all powerful he wasn't affected....While all this was happening my guy Jack was trying to bring his babe back to the light side so he can slide into her DM😂😂😂...am just kidding he just wanted her to su...

BLACK PANTHER: SPOILER REVIEW

  If you haven ’ t seen black panther,I don ’t think you’d understand this post because I’ll be talking about things that happened rather than explaining them like most spoiler reviews. With that being said,let us march on. We saw the bright side of wakanda as well as it ’s hidden dark history and so now,its time to talk about. I’ll start of by talking about who everyone is talking about and that is no one else but Erik Killmonger.   Erik Killmonger and Ulysyss Klaw are now my favorite villains. In fact, unlike many I actually preferred Klaw as a villain but maybe that was because Killmonger was more of an antagonist(yes,they can be different)to me. Klaw just wanted vibranium so he could fuck shit up but Erik’s grievance was more personal and it challenged T’challa’s ideals because who Erik had become was a result of his father’s(King T’chaka) mistake I’ll go into that in a bit.  Black Panther shows us just how impressive Wakanda is because it’s ...