Skip to main content

I Truly Loved Wonder Woman 1984: An Honest Review

 

 Wonder Woman 1984 is the sequel to 2017's Wonder Woman with Gal Gadot, Chris Pine and Patty Jenkins all returning in their respective duties with the first two as actors and Patty as the director once again.

 

Wonder Woman 1984 has only been out for a few days and within that time has been destroyed critically with people (including a couple of my friends) downright calling it horrible and a strong contender for worst movie of the year. While I'm not one to be swayed by the popular opinion of most critic reviews, seeing a couple of people whose tastes I respect speak ill of the film honestly made me scared and so I avoided watching it until today when I decided that I had to be brave and face my fear!

  As seen by the trailers and  other promotional materials, Wonder Woman 1984 is set in the 80's, specifically, 1984, the film has the classic retro feel to it and unapologetically embraces it. Please note that while I will not be spoiling anything major, I may drop some light spoilers below. 


 

 Okay so, before I saw this film, I had so many worries about it from the moment it's title and base synopsis were released because, from 2016's Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice, it was noted that Diana Prince who is wonder woman, did not stand in the forefront of mankind's events. I feared that this film would retcon this piece of information but it was clear that Director Patty Jenkins was well aware of this information and made sure she applied it to this film for continuity purposes by showing Diana going out of her way to erase any evidence of her interfering with things like the crimes she stops and saving the lives of people. 


Wonder Woman 1984 starts off with a flashback to an Amazonian competition young Diana participated in and nearly won if not for her trying to find an easier way to do things. This opens up the main theme of this film which is sacrifice, and it comes full circle by the end of the film. After that scene is played, we resume properly in 1984 showing Wonder Woman saving people secretly with the inclusion of a very 80's centric mall robbery scene where she not only saves but inspires the people in danger. 


After that, we get to see how Diana has come to live among mankind and how she feels lonely without her boyfriend Steve Trevor who had sacrificed himself in the previous film. Diana now works as an archeologist of sorts and it is through that medium we're introduced to the secondary villain of this story, Barbara Minerva, a klutzy, brilliant and kind nobody who happens to now work where Diana does. Diana is the only person who seems to notice and show interest in her besides a street pauper we see earlier. Without going into much details, their relationship is set up really well and both actresses really do a good job of emoting through out this film as they go from friend to foe. 

 Okay, okay, like the title suggests, I love this film and I don't want to spoil anything critical so, I'll try my best to explain the reasons why I love this film which I carefully took note of on my little notepad while I watched;

SETTING


 While it is set in the 80's and pays homage to it in several scenes, nothing really feels super cheesy I think this can be attributed to the great performances by Gal, Kristen Wiig, Chris and Pedro Pascal! Pedro especially was bloody brilliant in this. My biggest fear for this film was it being too cheesy and lack real substance was completely thrown out the window because this film truly has heart, they're very beautiful scenes with one being inside a certain kind of jet (if you know what I'm talking about). The final act is one of my favorite superhero film climax because I feel like it really shows how beautiful humanity can be if we work together.....okay, I know that sounds cheesy but I promise if you watch this film with an open mind, it'll probably hit you. 

MUSIC


 The music in this film took me for quite a surprise, it stars off with a hopeful theme fused with this dark OG Terminator like punk bassline and then we progress to more ambitious themes, which in turn moves to the quiet emotional one we see between Diana and her love and then, one of my favorites music sections happened to be a call back to a previous film in the cinematic universe which worked so so well in this film, I heard about it being here but I was still shocked at how they used it and it resonated with me. 

PLOT


Like I stated earlier, this film has a lot of heart and it's story makes room for it. The story of Wonder Woman 1984 could have been done awfully but thanks to great direction by Patty Jenkins and the wonderful cast, the story pacing and plot points are engaging and fun to watch even though the film has a runtime of over two hours. The story is a deliberate one that is set up from the beginning to bring up the importance of sacrifices and trying to do the right thing instead of just what you want. While that might sound really generic, I think it was really entertaining, impactful and executed well.  Oh oh, I heard about how apparently these films has boring fight scenes, I honestly disagree and believe it has some of the most excitingly refreshing action scenes I have seen in the comic book genre in recent years. I also enjoyed the way they incorporated a certain character through the use of a short  and informative cameo during the film and a campy lighthearted one later on.

VILLAINS


  While I loved all the characters in general and thought Gal and Chris were both wonderful, I would like to praise last but not least, the villains of this film because they absolutely stand out. This film gave me Pedro Pascal as Maxwell Lord, a character who is now a personal favorite of mine, I think he was phenomenal and I loved how he didn't need to do the cliché prerequisites of the modern day super hero villain and was still able to be a menacing and captivating character. From his first scenes in the film, he is charismatic and charming, very ambitious and very very effective. He is a cunning businessman who has had to crawl to the top and has an ambition of continuing to get bigger and while this all sounds extremely maniacal, there's more to his character and something/someone else that tethers him to humanity. 


While Pedro was phenomenal, hats off to Kristen Wiig as Barbara as well, her portrayal of the character is acted out so well and her transition into the confident badass villain we see later on in the film would not be able to be achieved without her  great performance. At first, her introduction felt jarring but then I quickly realized she's meant to be like that before she can develop into something more menacing. 



Wonder Woman 1984 like a lot of films is not perfect but I do believe it was a very good film contrary to popular opinion, and while I have a few issues especially the cgi in some parts of the beginning and ending, plus certain moments where the dialogue sounds cheesy, overall, the good outweighs the bad and I think it's a solid film to watch especially during this Christmas season. I read there are two sequels  in the works and I am very excited to see what they do with them.

As always, if you liked this post, do ensure to like, leave a comment, share and subscribe! Thank you for reading.



Comments

  1. I guess I'll have to watch it as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film was another trash brought out by DC.
    We get it, we all want to be trendy and politically correct however, it had all the elements to be a great superhero movie, but failed at it woefully.
    I can sense ur slight bias towards the movie based off the fact you are a DC fan!!!!


    But this movie was below par and you know in ur hearts of heart that this is true

    - honest wonder woman fan here

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie was not what I expected and not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Popular Posts

Army Of The Dead: A Crazy Roller Coaster!

  Visionary director, Zack Snyder comes through with a new release following his long awaited director’s cut of 2017’s Justice League. This time (and thanks to Netflix), he has full creative control of the entire film.    Army of the dead was shot, written and directed by Zack himself and is his return to horror, the same genre of his first feature film “Dawn of the Dead”. Army of the dead is an extremely ambitious film with the potential for multiple sequels and spinoffs besides the already announced ones. I’ll try my best to make this a spoiler free review although I make talk or hint about certain things that happen in the film.   The film tells the story of a team of skilled men and women coming together to go to closed off zombie infested Las Vegas to retrieve millions of dollars from a vault before the US government nukes the entire place and its zombie residents. Each member of this team standout and feel like real people with personalities. There’s a lot of present world realis

BUMBLEBEE: A BREATH OF FRESH AIR

    Bumblebee is the first ever live action prequel/reboot film that has been released from the transformers franchise and it is set during the 1980s. In all honesty,i'm not sure if this film is just a prequel or also a reboot because, by the end of the film you can see that this is definitely a happens before the first film with Shia Labeouf but, it also runs away from tying itself to the already established Transformers franchise by itself too seriously. The reason i think it might be a reboot is simply due to the fact that they redesigned the transformers to have their more simple classic design from the old school cartoons rather than the more "extra" design filled unnecessary level of detail. This film tries very much to be more human and rely more on emotional connection rather than being a grand cgi filled fest that could span the course of multiple two hour films.    The plot is simple;in the face of being terminated, the Autobots must flee from Cybertro

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member of th

Joker: An Engaging Rollercoaster

   This year has seen a couple of big comic book films, primarily from the marvel cinematic universe get released but as the year comes to a close, DC released Joker, a single film about the Joker that has no ties to their cinematic universe or their other Joker who was played by Jared Leto in Suicide Squad.  I saw Joker on my birthday thanks to an awesome friend who took me to go see it and honestly from the very first scene, I knew it wasn't going to be a basic pop corn flick...I mean, I knew that already from seeing the trailers but still, when the film starts, you know this isn't just another movie, this is an actual experience.   Jaoquin Phoneix has always been a phenomenal actor but he brings life to this new yet familiar character. He plays the slow descent into full blown madness perfectly and it's very very real. Every thing he does is shown from his perspective, they are a lot of crazy good scenes with him. You can tell he actually wanted to go all out