Skip to main content

GLORY SOUND PREP: JON COMES CLEAN

                                 
 
     As I type this am almost done listening to Glory Sound Prep so I wanted to talk about what I could gather from the eight songs I’ve listened to so far. First of,this album feels like a mix-tape, it’s not trying to be over the top or mind blowing, It’s just Jon trying to pass a message and I get it. Granted, coming of the Human Condition I really wanted him to go big again but it’s all good….I think.
Maybe it’s just me(a fan) expecting a lot from him and that is one of the many things he doesn’t want at this point in his life and maybe that’s okay.


Glory Sound Prep is a really cool listen, with this paragraph am at track nine so let me just come out clean,my expectations are bloody high for the tenth and final track. I mean, it’s bloody 8 minutes long, He wouldn’t make something that long if he didn’t want to pull the rug from under my legs and blow my mind,right? I really think he’s tired because, after his last project he was blowing up and a lot of people started pressurizing him and saying things like he’s underrated and he says he doesn’t want to be popular. Jon says he doesn’t want to be famous but successful and it stuck with me because a lot of artists are out here getting pulled up into drama and the negative effects of Fame.


Guess what? I’m at the final track, it sounds good. A lot of dope instruments, cool voice overs. I like it….so far(I think). I really wish that this was like a set up for an album called “Glory Sound” and this could be like him prepping for it. Either way, this album basically tells us that Jon loves the ordinary life, he’s married now and He wants to live a calm and happy life. He talks about God, the internet and how he wants his life to be grounded and not feel controlled by people who don’t even care if he’s happy. Like a lot of other artists with beautiful minds, he sees through the bullshit side of being famous.


Yo! I can hear the tune from the first teaser he released but without the Stormzy voice over. Now that I’m pretty much done listening to it, This wasn’t what i expected, I’m not just enjoying  it as much as I thought I would but I guess it takes multiple listens to truly judge a musical project.
There is no Hand of God-esque outro but they are still heart warming songs like Stupid deep, Let’s begin, Cautionary tales and Conversation’s with me wife but, most of them are just so short and it really pisses me off. I don’t know if am disappointed or I haven’t just digested the message well enough yet.


Jon is one of my all time favorite artists, from Translation Through Speakers to The Seperation and then The Human condition, all of his previous work have stuck with me and so I really hope the personal issues he addresses in Glory Sound Prep aren’t in any way hinting at a retirement because, I want full videos for most songs on this album and hopefully they’re animated(all the promos were). I also want longer songs from time to time, features and many more projects from him


Glory Sound Prep didn’t resonate with me the way I would have hoped but maybe that’s on me for placing him on such an unrealistic high place, him wanting the album to be that way or maybe it was simply because of his long Hiatus, either way I’ll keep bumping to it louder in order to get more translations through speakers(see what I did there?) in order to fully understand the purpose of this record.

Have you listened to GSP? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Or are you stuck in the middle like me. Leave a comment and tell me what you thought of it and my semi live reaction blog post!. Au Revoir!

Comments

The Popular Posts

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member ...

Samurai Jack's Finale Review!

If you grew up watching jack try to defeat aku and you got sad cause you never got a conclusion well the new season given to you by adult swim got you covered...it has 10 episodes and most weren't the best but they all had top notch voice acting and animation. The finale episode picks up were episode 9 left off with Aku capturing our awesome samurai and Ashi still in control of Aku.It's not Aku unless he gloats so in typical fashion Aku streamed a live video of samurai Jack chained and about to be killed...it was funny because he used the montage of the original show, which was a nice nod.All those who jack has helped since season 1 watched as he was tortured and they all joined together to attack Aku's headquarters... They all fired at Aku but with him being all powerful he wasn't affected....While all this was happening my guy Jack was trying to bring his babe back to the light side so he can slide into her DM😂😂😂...am just kidding he just wanted her to su...

UMBRELLA ACADEMY: WEIRD IS GREAT!

   I feel like this is the first time i have made a post about a show that just got released this early. Truth be told, i missed a class trying to binge all ten episodes of the new netflix show;  Doom Patrol  (that was a joke), sorry Umbrella Academy.   Honestly speaking, i find it truly intriguing how rare and fascinating how two really good and similar shows like Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy got released during the same period of time. With the Netflix marvel shows being cancelled, i think its safe to say we'll still have our dosage of realistic superheroes on the small screen.   Based on the Dark Horse comic of the same name, Umbrella Academy tells the story of a group of kids who wan born on the same day in 1989 to mothers who weren't pregnant before that day. A rich man named Sir Reginald Hargreeves who managed to adopt seven kids out of the forty-three that were born on that day. With six of them(allegedly) having extraordinary pow...

Mank review with a little bit of spoilers

“ I know you” was Marion’s first words to Herman Mankiewicz, this was the same way I felt because I had seen Citizen Kane (1940) prior to viewing this, so most of the things in the movie looked and sounded familiar  I strongly recommend seeing Citizen Kane before seeing this. Mank is a story of stories, but primarily it is about Herman’s journey in writing the first script draft of Citizen Kane after Orson Welles slashed the number of days he had to spend writing and everything that inspired the story. It is also a story about the complexity of Hollywood studios, the impact of the great depression on the infant film industry, filmmakers meddling with politics, the emergence of the Writer’s guild of America (WGA). While all these different stories progressed, the primary plot was still at full sail.  The non-linearity of the movie was marvelously done, it leaves the audience panting to find out the WHY for some of the actions of the characters, most are rooted in a...