Skip to main content

BUMBLEBEE: A BREATH OF FRESH AIR

 

  Bumblebee is the first ever live action prequel/reboot film that has been released from the transformers franchise and it is set during the 1980s. In all honesty,i'm not sure if this film is just a prequel or also a reboot because, by the end of the film you can see that this is definitely a happens before the first film with Shia Labeouf but, it also runs away from tying itself to the already established Transformers franchise by itself too seriously. The reason i think it might be a reboot is simply due to the fact that they redesigned the transformers to have their more simple classic design from the old school cartoons rather than the more "extra" design filled unnecessary level of detail. This film tries very much to be more human and rely more on emotional connection rather than being a grand cgi filled fest that could span the course of multiple two hour films.
   The plot is simple;in the face of being terminated, the Autobots must flee from Cybertron when the Decepticons destroy and hunt them. In hopes of one day coming back together, the Autobots spread themselves round the galaxy in order to have time to plan their next attack. Bumblebee finds himself en route to earth but when he lands, he quickly gets ambushed by military forces. Before he is able to state his  intentions, both the military and Bumblebee are ambushed by a Decepticon who Bumblebee manages to defeat at the cost of his speech box and a damaged memory disk. Damaged and alone, Bumblebee who is now unable to speak or remember his mission must go into hiding by disguising himself as a rusty old Volkswagen Beetle.
   The thing that surprised me in this film was how they did the action scenes. We're used to seeing this gigantic battles  where you see a ton of explosions and end up not even know what's going on. Here, when the Autobots and Decepticons are going against each other, the camera kind of readjusts to the perspective of the transformers rather than showing from the perspective of a tiny human. I love when you can be able to focus on a fight without the unnecessary happenings going on in the background. The fight scenes make you feel invested because you can actually focus on what's going on and see transformers struggle rather than seeing them as this empty big machines that just cause massive wreckage to a city during the third act of the transformer films.
  I think the cast did a great job in this film, Hailee Steinfield who plays the main character Charlie who befriends bumblebee when he crash lands on earth. She is the main emotional glue in this scene,i can't imagine how strenuous it must have been trying to act with a character that is purely computer generated. She has this really touching scene with Bee that got me admiring her acting chops. John Cena plays Jack Burns, a strong willed military man who has baggage with bumblebee and wants to "stop him". I don't know why but, for the weirdest reason, i just can not take John Cena seriously in films. I don't think he's a bad actor at all, he was great in blockers and he's fine here too but the problem is,my brain has registered to seeing John wrestle on the WWE.
   Asides from the transition of second to the final act feeling a bit rushed,Bumblebee manages to be a simple and enjoyable addition to the transformers franchise,offering a whole lot of heart,comedy and cool action sequences to keep you interested especially if you felt like the older transformer films took themselves too seriously.  Also, according to a new policy, google + will now be registered as anonymous due to it no longer being a part of the google blogger template. If you liked this post, leave a comment telling me what you thought, share and subscribe!

Comments

  1. It's definitely a reboot, the whole restructuring of the bot appearances gives it away

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review though. I feel the scenes detailing the nature of the relationship between Charlie and Bee were elongated. I would've loved to see more of Bee in action as that's what the Transformers franchise is built around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, i think at its core, Transformers is about the relationship between the Autobots and Humans

      Delete

Post a Comment

The Popular Posts

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member ...

Samurai Jack's Finale Review!

If you grew up watching jack try to defeat aku and you got sad cause you never got a conclusion well the new season given to you by adult swim got you covered...it has 10 episodes and most weren't the best but they all had top notch voice acting and animation. The finale episode picks up were episode 9 left off with Aku capturing our awesome samurai and Ashi still in control of Aku.It's not Aku unless he gloats so in typical fashion Aku streamed a live video of samurai Jack chained and about to be killed...it was funny because he used the montage of the original show, which was a nice nod.All those who jack has helped since season 1 watched as he was tortured and they all joined together to attack Aku's headquarters... They all fired at Aku but with him being all powerful he wasn't affected....While all this was happening my guy Jack was trying to bring his babe back to the light side so he can slide into her DM😂😂😂...am just kidding he just wanted her to su...

BLACK PANTHER: SPOILER REVIEW

  If you haven ’ t seen black panther,I don ’t think you’d understand this post because I’ll be talking about things that happened rather than explaining them like most spoiler reviews. With that being said,let us march on. We saw the bright side of wakanda as well as it ’s hidden dark history and so now,its time to talk about. I’ll start of by talking about who everyone is talking about and that is no one else but Erik Killmonger.   Erik Killmonger and Ulysyss Klaw are now my favorite villains. In fact, unlike many I actually preferred Klaw as a villain but maybe that was because Killmonger was more of an antagonist(yes,they can be different)to me. Klaw just wanted vibranium so he could fuck shit up but Erik’s grievance was more personal and it challenged T’challa’s ideals because who Erik had become was a result of his father’s(King T’chaka) mistake I’ll go into that in a bit.  Black Panther shows us just how impressive Wakanda is because it’s ...

WHOLE LOTTA RED: A REVIEW

After two damn years of waiting [definitely not me], Carti finally drops the album! I wasn't going to make a review BUT when I heard Carti, in Punk Monk , say "... I don't rap, I write poems..." I was like: Whole Lotta Red is Playboi Carti's second studio album and as I've earlier stated, a highly anticipated project. And Carti takes a weird, twisted and unsurprisingly dark route with this album. I mean did you see the merch? Anyways, the WLR comprises of 24 songs. Yes. I know. That's a lot. But Carti feels it's fine. You get more songs for the wait? 🤔 Man really brought hieroglyphics to his track naming 😭. I kinda respect Carti for embodying many trolls. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger yeah? Before I review the songs, we have to talk about the album art. C'mon Carti. Why this? Sigh . Weak ass album art. This just screams low effort. The album has three categories according to my ears: absolute trash, confessions and pretty okay. ...