Skip to main content

Raya and The Last Dragon: An Unexpected Gem

 

 Alright so, ever since this film got announced and I saw character designs and all, I don’t know why but it felt like it was a dlc (extra downloadable content for a video game) but for a movie. It felt like a dlc for Moana, and I’m not like the biggest fan of Moana but, I love animation and so I try my best to always see animated films and that’s why I’m here today after quite the hiatus to tell you, that Raya and The Last Dragon is pretty damn great!

  Okay so one of my favorite things about this film was how they used a good chunk of its opening to set up what goes on later. I know that’s meant to be a norm but most animated films don’t get to do that cause their runtime is usually about an hour and a half (including credits). The film clearly explains the lore and history of the land, shows us Raya’s personality and her motivations for the future and I have to hand it to Kelly Marrie Tran (Rose Tico from the Star Wars Sequels) because she’s absolutely brilliant as Raya and cements her as one of my favorite Disney heroines thus far. Awkwafina is also great as Sisu balancing humor with a shocking amount of heart. 

 This film is obviously inspired by Asian culture and it shows it beautifully through the gorgeous scenery of different lands, beautiful costume designs and the masterful fight choreography. Speaking of fight choreography, for an animated feature film I don’t know why they went this hard but I honestly admire the people who worked on it because it was so freaking awesome. I found myself getting so excited every time a fight scene came up because each one kicked ass, no pun intended.

 Another thing this films excels in is portraying characters as humans first and foremost rather than good or bad. I really appreciated Raya, Sisu, her companions, Boun (who I loved so so much), Tong, Noi, the adorable pets as well as the extremely badass Namaari. I think they are all so well written  and I really appreciated how they explored how humans capable of great bad and great good without it coming out as corny or lackluster. 

 There’s no musical number in this film but I think the score for the film really hits especially during the more emotional scenes. There’s a great level of consistency that showers through out the film, it feels like a real world with real people who live in it and while that’s usually the goal for fantasy films, it’s not usually achieved with the exception of films like the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter franchise. 

 The last act of this film surprised me the most, there’s a scene where a certain person does something and it’s so totally out of the usual Disney formula we’re used to and I feel like it elevated an already good film to a really really good film. To explain it more simply, this film feels like a Pixar venture rather than just Disney. 

 To sum things up, Raya and the Last Dragon is a very good film with a good message, an amazing protagonist, talented voice cast, beautiful animation and a run time that doesn’t slow down or rush things. I highly recommend seeing it if you’re looking for something cool to check out! 

 

Comments

  1. My God I loved this movie. It was one of the best animation I've seen if not the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Popular Posts

DOOM PATROL

   The second DC Universe Live Action show; Doom Patrol just premiered and I must say, it was a really interesting watch. Following the lives of the Doom Patrol, a team of very strange heroes who we first encounter during an episode of Titans, the show sheds more light on how they came to be the "freaks" that they are now through a brilliant narrator who ties into the episode and beautiful acting from every member of the cast.   If you saw them in Titans, you might have been pissed off by the actor who played Chief there. I thought he was horrible and the show recast him with a much better and intense actor who carries each scene he's in. With just the first episode, I was very impressed by how funny, serious and emotional it was. Unlike the show before it, Doom Patrol managed to start off on a high note with so many possibilities, it actually manage to do the whole team dynamic better than the Titan show.  I could actually feel the bond amongst each member ...

Samurai Jack's Finale Review!

If you grew up watching jack try to defeat aku and you got sad cause you never got a conclusion well the new season given to you by adult swim got you covered...it has 10 episodes and most weren't the best but they all had top notch voice acting and animation. The finale episode picks up were episode 9 left off with Aku capturing our awesome samurai and Ashi still in control of Aku.It's not Aku unless he gloats so in typical fashion Aku streamed a live video of samurai Jack chained and about to be killed...it was funny because he used the montage of the original show, which was a nice nod.All those who jack has helped since season 1 watched as he was tortured and they all joined together to attack Aku's headquarters... They all fired at Aku but with him being all powerful he wasn't affected....While all this was happening my guy Jack was trying to bring his babe back to the light side so he can slide into her DM😂😂😂...am just kidding he just wanted her to su...

UMBRELLA ACADEMY: WEIRD IS GREAT!

   I feel like this is the first time i have made a post about a show that just got released this early. Truth be told, i missed a class trying to binge all ten episodes of the new netflix show;  Doom Patrol  (that was a joke), sorry Umbrella Academy.   Honestly speaking, i find it truly intriguing how rare and fascinating how two really good and similar shows like Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy got released during the same period of time. With the Netflix marvel shows being cancelled, i think its safe to say we'll still have our dosage of realistic superheroes on the small screen.   Based on the Dark Horse comic of the same name, Umbrella Academy tells the story of a group of kids who wan born on the same day in 1989 to mothers who weren't pregnant before that day. A rich man named Sir Reginald Hargreeves who managed to adopt seven kids out of the forty-three that were born on that day. With six of them(allegedly) having extraordinary pow...

Mank review with a little bit of spoilers

“ I know you” was Marion’s first words to Herman Mankiewicz, this was the same way I felt because I had seen Citizen Kane (1940) prior to viewing this, so most of the things in the movie looked and sounded familiar  I strongly recommend seeing Citizen Kane before seeing this. Mank is a story of stories, but primarily it is about Herman’s journey in writing the first script draft of Citizen Kane after Orson Welles slashed the number of days he had to spend writing and everything that inspired the story. It is also a story about the complexity of Hollywood studios, the impact of the great depression on the infant film industry, filmmakers meddling with politics, the emergence of the Writer’s guild of America (WGA). While all these different stories progressed, the primary plot was still at full sail.  The non-linearity of the movie was marvelously done, it leaves the audience panting to find out the WHY for some of the actions of the characters, most are rooted in a...